Spring is just around the corner, which is always an exciting time of year. Unfortunately, toenail fungus loves this season just as much as we do, what with all the damp, warm weather it brings. Are you at risk for fungal nails? Take this risk factor-revealing quiz and find out:
- Are you…
Sorry, guys, but you’re more prone to the problem than the ladies out there.
- Would you say you’re more…
- Long in the tooth
- Wet behind the ears
Unfortunately, as if aging isn’t bad enough already, toenail fungus tends to like the reduced blood flow of older feet.
- When you go to the gym do you…
- Borrow socks
- Walk around the locker room barefoot
- Share a towel
- All of the above
If your answer is D, you better start re-thinking what you pack in your gym bag! Always include shower shoes, and a clean towel and socks.
- Would you describe your footwear as…
- Your foot’s own personal sauna
- Cool and airy
Sweaty socks and shoes are an open invitation for fungus. Tell that fungi the party’s over before it begins by choosing footwear made of moisture-wicking, breathable materials.
- Do the people in your family have…
- Clear, healthy nails
- Toenails that make you turn your head away like you do when Great Aunt Sophie is coming in for a kiss.
Toenail fungus can run in the family. If you spot relatives with the problem, you should take preventative measures so you won’t end up carrying on the family tradition!
- Does the thought of going without nail polish…
- Make you cringe
- Make you shrug
Wearing polish all the time doesn’t allow your nails time to breath or get light, creating an environment fungi love. That’s not saying you can never wear polish, but it’s important to take a break from time to time.
- Do you have…
- Diabetes or another medical condition that affects your blood flow or immune system
- A cut or scratch on your foot
Answering yes to either one of these means you are at a greater risk for fungal nails.
If you racked-up some serious risk factors, don’t worry. Realizing you are at risk is what allows you to take steps towards preventing the problem in the first place! Has the fungus has already found you? No need to worry about that either – we can help. Call our Carmichael, CA office at (916) 961-3434 to schedule an appointment with us today.