Summer is full of sweet treats like ice cream, slushies, popsicles, and fruit drinks, all tempting for anyone, much less those with a sweet tooth! Sure, the season is quickly coming to an end, but not to worry -- there’s still time for limiting sugar. After all, it’s basically always summertime around here, and those sweet treats aren’t going anywhere! So, next time your sweet tooth starts taunting you, keep these tips in mind for cutting sugar from your diet to keep you and your feet happy – even if summer treats are still calling your name!
- Eat several small meals throughout the day so you’re never super hungry and tempted to grab a quick bite -- like a cookie, for instance.
- Drink more water. It’ll curb your appetite and reduce cravings.
- Opt for fresh, not processed foods which are notorious for hidden sugars. Let some watermelon or other fresh fruit satisfy that nagging sweet tooth of yours!
- Read labels and be aware of sugar’s aliases, including high fructose corn syrup and sucrose.
- Look for items described by words such as unsweetened, sugar-free, or no sugar added. There are actually plenty of treats out there without sugar as an ingredient – you just have to look!
- Stick with whole grains, healthy fats, and lean protein – complex carbs break down into sugars!
- Spice up your life. Try adding cinnamon or nutmeg in coffee instead of sugar.
- Make your own popsicles and slushies with 100% fruit juice.
- Get enough sleep so you don’t get the urge to fight off fatigue with a candy bar!
There you have it! All sorts of tips for cutting sugar from your diet without necessarily cutting out sweet treats. If you need more info, just let us know. We’re happy to help you make the switch to a healthier lifestyle, for you and your feet! Contact our Carmichael, CA office at (916) 961-3434 and let the limiting sugar begin!