‘Tis the season for shopping, and if you or a loved one has diabetes, make sure you put diabetic socks and shoes on your list. Talk about giving a gift that says you care! When you have diabetes, protecting your feet is vital to ensuring that you stay clear of serious complications. Special socks and shoes made specifically for diabetic feet are a smart investment for your safety and health. They go a long way toward allowing you to live a full and active life, despite your disease. It’s important, however, to know what to look for (and stay clear of) before you buy. Therefore, we made a list and checked it twice to provide you with the best tips for diabetic socks and shoe shopping.
- Seams that can cause irritation
- Materials that do not breathe
- Constrictive and tight shoes and socks
- Not enough cushion
- Seamless – there should be no seams in socks and you should check inside shoes to make sure seams are not prominent enough to cause irritation.
- Moisture-wicking and breathable – keeping feet dry will help to avoid dangerous diabetic fungal infections.
- Proper fit – diabetic socks and shoes should never be too tight or too loose. Socks should fit snugly with slight compression, but not be so constrictive that they interfere with blood flow. Footwear should have a thumb’s width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe. The toe area of both socks and shoes should be wide enough so that toes aren’t squished.
- Padding for extra cushion and protection – look for socks that provide additional padding in weight-bearing areas to reduce pressure points, and shoes that offer plenty of cushion, too. Orthotic inserts can help with this as well.
Sticking to the “Nice” list and avoiding the “Naughty” one will help you find the perfect diabetic socks and shoes to protect your feet from harm and ensure a happy and problem-free holiday season.
Ho-Ho-Hope that helps! If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment to discuss diabetic foot care, just give our Carmichael, CA office a call at (916) 961-3434.