We provide care for a wide range of foot and ankle issues, but some tend to be more common than others. Specifically, some of the skin and toenail issues we often treat at McDowell Podiatry Group are the following:
- Ingrown toenails. A nail is considered to be ingrown when the corner or edge has begun to grow into the soft skin surrounding it. This condition can create discomfort, pain, and even increased infection risk. Some of the causes include tight footwear, improper nail trimming, and physical trauma.
- Toenail fungus. A fungal infection isn’t fun for anyone. The basic symptoms of this condition are discolored, distorted, darkened nails that crumble easily and might have a slightly foul odor. Fungal toenails can be embarrassing and a source of self-consciousness, but we offer laser treatment to kill the fungus so your nails can be restored to a healthy, natural state.
- Black toenails. Nail can become discolored due to a fungal infection, but there are also instances in which there is bruising or bleeding on the nail bed. This can result in a darkened coloration. Black toenails are frequently associated with runners, especially those who run great distances. The condition can create discomfort and pain, and also lead to separation of the nail from its bed. In rare cases, a dark spot could be an indication of malignant melanoma. Our office can provide an accurate diagnosis and then ensure you receive the care you need.
- Corns and calluses. These patches of hardened, dead skin might not seem to be a major problem, but they can cause discomfort. Even more concerning, diabetic individuals need to be particularly aware of corns and calluses, because they can break down into dangerous foot ulcers.
- Dry skin. This is another condition that doesn’t appear to cause much concern, but cracks and fissures can be painful, open the door for infection, and also pose risks for those living with diabetes. We can provide tips and instructions to keep your skin soft and lower the odds of discomfort from dry, fissured skin.
For more information on these common skin and toenail issues, call our Carmichael, CA office at (916) 961-3434. If you live in the greater Sacramento community, be sure to come see McDowell Podiatry Group whenever you need expert foot care. You can request an appointment with us online today!